June 4, 2013

Where the Social Media Workforce Has Got It Wrong.....



This week, the STL Cardinals are hosting a “social media night at the ballpark” I hope it’s a blast and the Birds bring home a win, but I (and anyone from The Media Slate) won't be there.  I’ve been tweeted at, emailed and text all day asking why I was not going…. Apart from being out of town, to meet with clients I’ve thought this through and want to try and clarify some ideas I frequently have and why even if I was in town, I would not go….. 

Going to “social media night” does not make you a better account mangers, increase your copy or code skills, or preschedule tomorrow’s accounts.  It is just a social event, so act like it.  No need to tweet ongoing about the night and how THIS event makes YOU a better social media manager, because it really doesn’t it is just like going to the Rotary Clubs lunch in on Thursday—another social event.  

Personally, I don’t have the time, and don’t want to make the time to attend ANOTHER social media event that the hottest STL social media managers will be at.  I just flat out don’t care.  I am really proud that I work in an industry with some incredible people- but I expect that they keep doing their work, and I do mine.  I don’t need to go shake hands or buy a drink for the largest agency in STL to feel like I have “arrived” in this industry.  I have no interest in showing up at a SM event just to be “noticed”…..    

In reality, no one outside of this industry really cares that you manage the social media account for this person or that business.  The rest of the world could care less.

I met the girl who is the chief creative designer for all Target commercials, and she didn’t mention her job ONCE until I asked (and I think she has earned the bragging rights to say what she does….)  When I asked why she didn’t mention it she simply stated “its my job, I’m thankful for it, but I purposefully work behind the camera, not in front- my role is to work hard and not be noticed….. people see my commercials, I don’t need any further notice. My work can just speak for itself.”….  She gets it.  She could show up at EVERY creative event and be the most sought after women in the room again and again, but would rather work and produce what she is good at.  No need for extra applause. 

Anybody else see #Kasey on the #Bachelorette (I need more ######hashtags to act like I’m tweeting in real life #KaseySTOPnow #SendHimHome #DesDeservesBetter).  He was the butt of all jokes that episode.  Saying “Hashtag” verbally is irrational and should really be avoided, #Kasey. 

You honestly sound uneducated talking in hashtag phrases.  I get that ‘s the world you live in, but it’s ok to use proper English and speak in over 140 character, I promise they will come out of your mouth and that there will be no “you’ve hit limits” alerts.  

Some of us in the digital world, need to stop attending all the hottest events, quit talking like we don't know english and forget about being noticed, and rather need to put our time into something more beneficial.  Attending another STL-SMC(social media club) event is not going to increase your vocab or get your stats report done.  Another social media event won’t get you a job with your dream agency, working hard and producing results will get you noticed.  Create a campaign that blows up, #goodmoringSTL for example..... you'll get hired because you work and produce results.      

I am going to just say it, it’s ok to not go to that months hottest industry event and be totally “not cool” and a “creeper” who chooses to go unnoticed.  By all means, your twitter account will probably be hacked and everything deleted one day so you might as well put efforts elsewhere and stop posting photos of you at every SMM event for attention.  

I just wish more people would work hard on what matters, and strive to impress less.  Let your work impress, not your ability to attend multiple social events centered around "social media" 

No comments: